The New Researchers Day (NRD) will take place on Friday, 8th June 2018, the day before BSRLM’s Summer conference.
‘New’ in the title is open to your interpretation: the day is intended for research students, post doc researchers, newly appointed lecturers (perhaps those starting in research) and anyone who thinks ‘this sounds good’. ‘Mathematics’ in BSRLM should be regarded widely and researchers in education whose research has a strong but not exclusive connection with mathematics are very welcome.
The event will include two keynote talks.
Plenary lecture 1
Sofya Lyakhova, Swansea University
What does mathematics as a discipline tell us about how to teach it, how to research it and how to do research in mathematics education?
I will talk about my personal experience of being a teacher, mathematics researcher and a researcher in mathematics education and will attempt to draw a comparison between these activities.
Based on the opinions of mathematics researchers (both historical and contemporary) I will share my views on how these activities and methods they employ are influenced by the nature of the discipline itself.
Plenary lecture 2
Jane Waters, University of Wales Trinity St Davids
Research writing or ‘dissemination’: Know your purpose, know your audience and know your message!
This presentation encourages the audience to carefully consider the whyelement of dissemination and publication. We consider various purposes for these activities and the implications of the whyfor the nature of the product. By reviewing some examples of dissemination and publication products we are able to determine when purpose, audience and message have been successfully aligned … and when they have been misaligned. We are reminded that misalignment is associated with wasted time and effort, and working ‘smartly’ means avoiding such pitfalls!
Additionally, there will be a range of research presentations by colleagues who consider themselves as ‘New Researchers’.
- There is no charge for the day, but you must be (or become) our member. The membership fee is £35. Concessions are available. To join BSRLM, please click here.
- Light refreshments will be provided, but lunch and evening meal (if you stay on for the Saturday meeting) are self-funded.
- Financial support from the Leone Burton Fund will provide Bed and Breakfast accommodation for anyone attending the New Researchers Day and staying on for the Summer conference the following day. (If you are able to cover the costs from another source, please do so as the Leone Burton Fund depends upon donations). The amount per person is capped at £40. To claim, simply give your details and a copy of your hotel receipt to the Treasurer at the conference on Saturday.
- The NRD will be held at the Swansea Business School, Powell Street, SA1 1NE. The Business School can be found as No. 12 on this campus map.
- It is a very short walk away from Swansea train station. For the interactive map from the station to the venue, click here.
- If you travel by car, you will need to park in a car park. There is an NCP at West Glamorgan House, 12 Orchard St, Swansea SA1 5AS and the Mariner Street car park at 35 Mariner St, Swansea SA1 5BA.
- Once you have joined BSRLM and have logged into the site, you can register to attend.
- There is no deadline for registration, but to ensure that your name appears on the Delegates list, please register, at least, by Friday 1st June.
- Fri 13/04/18 First Announcement & On-line registration opens
- Fri 04/05/18 Reminder e-mail
- Fri 18/05/18 Session proposal submission deadline
- Fri 25/05/18 Second Announcement
- Fri 08/06/18 New Researchers Day
- Sat 09/06/18 BSRLM Summer conference
If you have any question about attending or presenting at NRD, please contact our Local Hosts, Rachel Wallis (email@example.com) and Helen Denny (firstname.lastname@example.org).