The New Researchers Day (NRD) will take place on Friday, 8th June 2018, the day before BSRLM’s Summer conference.
‘New’ in the title is open to your interpretation: the day is intended for research students, post doc researchers, newly appointed lecturers (perhaps those starting in research) and anyone who thinks ‘this sounds good’. ‘Mathematics’ in BSRLM should be regarded widely and researchers in education whose research has a strong but not exclusive connection with mathematics are very welcome.
The event will include two keynote talks: details will be confirmed shortly. Additionally, there will be a range of research presentations by colleagues who consider themselves as ‘New Researchers’. (To present, please find more details below)
- There is no charge for the day, but you must be (or become) our member. The membership fee is £35. Concessions are available. To join BSRLM, please click here.
- Light refreshments will be provided, but lunch and evening meal (if you stay on for the Saturday meeting) are self-funded.
- Financial support from the Leone Burton Fund will provide Bed and Breakfast accommodation for anyone attending the New Researchers Day and staying on for the Summer conference the following day. (If you are able to cover the costs from another source, please do so as the Leone Burton Fund depends upon donations). The amount per person is capped at £40. To claim, simply give your details and a copy of your hotel receipt to the Treasurer at the conference on Saturday.
- The NRD will be held at the Swansea Business School, Powell Street, SA1 1NE. The Business School can be found as No. 12 on this campus map.
- It is a very short walk away from Swansea train station. For the interactive map from the station to the venue, click here.
- If you travel by car, you will need to park in a car park. There is an NCP at West Glamorgan House, 12 Orchard St, Swansea SA1 5AS and the Mariner Street car park at 35 Mariner St, Swansea SA1 5BA.
- Once you have joined BSRLM and have logged into the site, you can register to attend.
- There is no deadline for registration, but to ensure that your name appears on the Delegates list, please register, at least, by Friday 1st June.
To present on the NRD:
We hope that many of you who attend the NRD will also want to present. A presentation does not need to be the presentation of a finished research product – you can present ‘ongoing research’ with issues for attendees to discuss supportively. All presentations are 30 minutes in length and should include, at least, 10 minutes for discussion.
- To present, please complete the on-line proposal form here by 17:00 on Friday 18 May 2018.
- Guidelines for presenting and chairing a session can be found here. (Please note that the guideline is originally intended for those presenting on our Day Conferences, so please ignore any references to 60-minute presentations).
- Fri 13/04/18 First Announcement & On-line registration opens
- Fri 04/05/18 Reminder e-mail
- Fri 18/05/18 Session proposal submission deadline
- Fri 25/05/18 Second Announcement
- Fri 08/06/18 New Researchers Day
- Sat 09/06/18 BSRLM Summer conference
If you have any question about attending or presenting at NRD, please contact our Local Hosts, Rachel Wallis (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Helen Denny (email@example.com).